Everton will welcome Manchester City to the Goodison Park in what will be the first part of the Merseyside vs Manchester face-off on Sunday. Everton have started off their transfer dealings with the biggest haul of the January window till now. Morgan Schneiderlin has joined from Manchester United in a £24m deal and the player will significantly bolster their midfield. The two sides met in October when two missed penalties by the Sky Blues and a Lukaku solo goal before a late Nolito equaliser saw the two teams share the spoils at the Etihad Stadium.
Things will not be too different this time around and it will be a game of fine margins once again. Manchester City will be desperate for 3 points as they try to get a foothold in the melee at the top of the table while Everton will look for 3 points to stay within sniffing distance of 6th placed Manchester United who have a difficult match against Liverpool up next.
- Everton are winless in their last seven Premier League games against Manchester City (D3 L4). Prior to this run, they had won six of the previous eight (D1 L1).
- The Citizens have won two of their last three games at Goodison Park, having lost the previous four to David Moyes’ Everton between 2010 and 2013.
- Three of Everton’s last five goals against Manchester City in the Premier League have been scored by Romelu Lukaku.
- Since Lukaku’s debut for Everton in September 2013, only Sergio Aguero (77) and Harry Kane (59) have scored more Premier League goals than the Belgian (54).
- Yaya Toure has been directly involved in six goals in nine previous Premier League appearances against the Toffees (three goals and three assists).
- Manchester City missed two penalties against Everton in October, with both spot kicks conceded by Phil Jagielka and saved by Maarten Stekelenburg.
- Raheem Sterling has been directly involved in nine Premier League goals for Man City this season (five goals, four assists), compared to eight in his first season at the club.
- The Citizens have lost as many Premier League games in their last seven (3) as they did in their previous 24.
- Sergio Aguero has had a hand in 139 goals in 164 Premier League appearances for Manchester City (113 goals, 26 assists).
TEAM NEWS AND PREDICTED LINE-UPS
Everton could give a debut to new signing Morgan Schneiderlin, while Aaron Lennon is back after an injury.
Ademola Lookman may also feature after arriving from Charlton, while Maarten Stekelenburg and James McCarthy will be assessed after returning to training.
Stekelenburg; Coleman, Jagielka, Williams, Baines; Barry, Davies, Barkley; Deulofeu, Lukaku, Mirallas
MANCHESTER CITY (4-2-3-1)
Manchester City are again without the banned Fernandinho, while Gabriel Jesus is not eligible to make his debut.
Vincent Kompany and Leroy Sane are available after recovering from injury, with Fernando the only fitness doubt.
Bravo; Sagna, Otamendi, Stones, Kolarov; Fernando, Toure; Silva, De Bruyne, Sterling; Aguero
MANCHESTER CITY- 4/5