Outcast Celtic Star Has Not Ruled Out A Summer Exit: What Has Gone Wrong For This Talented Midfielder

In a recent interview with Sapo, Celtic star Paulo Bernardo has opened up on his future amid a lack of opportunities in the middle of the park. He would assess his options in the summer, and a potential return to Portugal has not been ruled out by the former Benfica academy graduate either.

“I love Portugal; for me, living in Portugal is a privilege. So, it could happen. I don’t know what will happen, but I see it in a positive light, and I’m not closing any doors.”

Told the 24-year-old former Portugal youth international, who was handed a surprise start in their Europa League encounter against VfB Stuttgart. Although he has been involved in 18 outings, only seven of them were starting spots, including the Thursday night fixture. With just 604 minutes of first-team football, Bernardo could explore a fresh challenge, despite penning a five-year contract in August 2024.

Celtic initially had him on loan at Parkhead for the 2023-24 campaign. Then-boss Brendan Rodgers deployed him 33 times, with his gametime the third-highest among midfield options, behind Matt O’Riley and McGregor.

Celtic midfielder Bernardo in action against Livingston
GLASGOW, SCOTLAND – AUGUST 23: Paulo Bernardo of Celtic vies with Shane Blaney of Livingston during the Premier League match between Celtic and Livingston at Celtic Park on August 23, 202,5 in Glasgow, Scotland. (Photo by Ian MacNicol/Getty Images)

Meanwhile, the Hoops sanctioned O’Riley’s move to Brighton & Hove Albion in the summer of 2024, but roped in Arne Engels and Luke McCowan to restore parity in the centre of the pitch. Moreover, Bernardo’s loan was made permanent for a fee of around £3.5m, and the young Portuguese was handed 37 appearances across competitions last season.

What Has Gone Wrong For Bernardo At Celtic

Nevertheless, McGregor, Engels and Hatate were the preferred names in Rodgers’ 4-3-3 setup. Bernardo was mostly utilised as the understudy to the first-choice trio, but the winter arrival of Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain has now pushed him further down the pecking order. Although Engels’ injury, Hatate’s poor form and Oxlade-Chamberlain’s ineligibility earned him a rare opportunity to impress as a ‘number 8’, he failed to make the most of it, as the Celts suffered a disastrous 1-4 home defeat.

McCowan, who has also been handed a bit-part status in midfield and wide slots, has played way more than the wantaway midfielder. While the scenario might change in the summer under Martin O’Neill’s successor, Bernardo has not done enough to attune to the aggression, pace and physicality of Scottish football.

Celtic do not have a like-for-like replacement for McGregor, who could drive their game from the base as a deep-lying playmaker. Bernardo has not been able to challenge him for the ‘number 6’ role, as his lack of flexibility has further minimised his minutes so far this season. Having said that, he enjoyed a brief yet productive loan stint at Paços de Ferreira before plying his trade in Glasgow, and a return to his homeland could help him bring his career back on track if a suitable offer is tabled in due time.